Every family invests in real estate, equities, fixed deposits, or post office accounts to protect their financial future. Why? Because such investments are highly beneficial for securing the future and benefiting their progeny. Regarding legal heirs, the first share goes to the sharers, while the remainder goes to the residuary. Most importantly, a woman’s right to her portion of an inheritance from her husband, son, father, or mother is the same as that of the male heirs.
A legal heir is any individual, male or female, entitled to inherit a deceased person’s property according to a will or succession laws. Suppose the head of the family member expires suddenly, so the person next to the dead must get a legal heir certificate to transfer the assets. The overall charge for issuing a legal heir certificate is Rs 2 for the stamp and Rs 20 for the affidavit. Occasionally, some officials may ask for extra money, which can be considered unauthorized. The fee for a succession certificate is 3% or a greater or lesser proportion of the entire worth of the property.
Why do you need a succession certificate?
A succession certificate is required to prove the validity and legality of the legal heirs and grant them control over the deceased person’s assets and securities. In contrast, a legal heir certificate is issued to identify the deceased’s heirs. You must complete this process as soon as you get the death certificate from the municipal corporation, as it may take up to 30 days to receive the legal heir certificate.
According to the Hindu Succession Act, the son, daughter, mother, children of the deceased son and daughter, and widow of the dead son are among the husband’s (Hindu male) immediate legal heirs. The applicant must apply to the proper government authority to get the legal heir certificate. This certificate is crucial since it is the primary document to claim the deceased person’s debts and assets.
What does the Varisu certificate mean?
Varisu certificate, the legal heir certificate in English, is also popular as Varisu Sandrithal in Tamil. It is the legal document for the surviving family members to substantiate their claim to the deceased family member’s property or dues. Varisu certificate or legal heir certificate (in English) contains the names and relationships of the deceased’s legal heirs.
How To Apply for a Varisu certificate offline?
The steps to apply for a Legal Heir Certificate in Tamilnadu, India, are as follows:
- Visit the Taluk / Thasildhar office to get a Legal Heir certificate.
- Obtain the application form (offline or online), fill it with all necessary information, and send it to the Taluk office along with any required supporting documentation. Do not forget to add Rs. 2 stamps to it.
- After applying, you will be given a token and instructed to meet the VAO/RI after a particular time (such as two or three days).
- Visit the VAO office after two or three days. They will give you two sets of forms, one requiring ten people to write their names, addresses, and signatures for references on the back, and the other requiring you to list the names of 10 different locals for references. In such instances, if you reside in a large city, you must travel to RI.
- Next, visit the VAO or Village Administrator’s Office, where all legal heirs must sign the application before the VAO. Then, after thoroughly reviewing the documents, the VAO will attach his office seal and sign the paperwork after confirming the legal heirs’ accuracy.
- Then you must give the Revenue Inspector the VAO-signed Application form. The Revenue Inspector will visit your home to inspect and verify your residence and the legal heirs after obtaining the application form.
- Finally, you will receive a token number, submit the completed RI & VAO form to the Tahsildar office in your area, and formally receive the legal heir certificate.
How To Apply for a Varisu certificate online?
The government of Tamil Nadu has made the Varisu certificate application process available online for its citizens through the official government website. The e-Sevai initiative, made available via the Common Service Centres in Tamil Nadu, provides online access to a wide range of citizen-centric services (CSCs).
Here’s how to get and download the legal heir certificate.
- First, go to the TN e-Sevai website and sign in with your credentials. New users must create an account before using any of the site’s features. Follow the instructions under the “New User? Sign up Here” heading on the home page.
- Fill in the fields on the next page with your full name, taluk, district, email address, and mobile phone number. Once you’ve entered the captcha, click the “Sign Up” button.
- Enter the one-time password (OTP) sent to your phone to complete the authentication process.
- After completing your authentication, choose “Login” and enter your credentials. You can also log in using your registered mobile number.
- Choose “Service wise” from the menu on the left. Look for the REV-114 Legal Heir Certificate option from the drop-down list of documents.
- When a new window appears, click “Continue” on the page.
- Next, provide your personal information such as name, CAN number, father’s name, email address, Aadhaar number, telephone number, and birth date, and click on “Search.” If you don’t already have a CAN number, click the “Register CAN” button so that you can sign up.
- Now you can access and review the online format of the legal heirship certificate. Fill out the application form and attach all relevant documents. Do not forget to make the required payment online through the website once you have submitted the paperwork.
- If your payment for a Varisu certificate is successful, you will be sent a receipt for that transaction. You must keep the receipt safe for later use.
- Lastly, to check the status of your application for a Varisu certificate, enter the application number printed on your receipt, and you will get the details.
How to download a Tamil Nadu legal heir certificate or Varisu certificate?
A legal heir certificate application and certificate are available online through the official eSevai portal. All the applicants will need is the application number to check the status. Once your certificate is ready, the revenue division will issue the downloadable Varisu certificate if the application is approved.
Who are eligible to get a Varisu certificate?
According to Indian law, the following individuals in Tamil Nadu are eligible to get the Varisu certificate:
- The surviving spouse of the deceased
- Children or the son/daughter of the deceased
- Parents (mother/father) of the deceased
- The deceased person’s sibling.
What are the necessary documents required to Obtain a Legal Heir Certificate?
The list of documentation needed to get a legal heir certificate is as follows:
- An affidavit of self-undertaking.
- Proof of the applicant’s identity.
- Address verification for each legal heir.
- Evidence of each legitimate heir’s birthdate.
- A copy of the death certificate.
- Death certificate for the immediate legal heir who passed away.
- Proof of the deceased’s residence.
A legal heir certificate has become one of the most crucial documents to identify the legitimate heir, who can subsequently claim the dead person’s assets and property. This certificate is a requirement for all qualified successors to assert their right to the decedent’s property. Here are a few more reasons why you must get your legal heir certificate-
- Assign the demise person’s assets, debts, and possessions to his heirs.
- To submit a claim for the dead person’s insurance.
- To approve and handle the dead employee’s or person’s family pension.
- To obtain the deceased person’s outstanding debts from the relevant office or the government, such as gratuities, provident funds, etc.
- To secure work for the deceased individual through appointments made out of sympathy.