Sleep Importance | Vastu Guide | Northern Hemisphere Direction | Southern Hemisphere Direction | Bed Placement | Science Says | The East | The South | Directions To Avoid | Sleeping Position For Couples | Master Bedroom Sleeping Direction | Tips | FAQ
The right sleep is essential to make sure that your body works smoothly. Not everyone can sleep peacefully and often, you may end up waking up tired. This is why you need to know the best direction to sleep, the right Vastu recommended directions and also the science behind good sleeping poses as well.
Each of these details is crucial in knowing the best ways by which you can give your body adequate rest. When your body fails to rest properly, you will feel sluggish and you won’t be able to give in your hundred percent. This is why as much as you focus on your work, you also need to focus on the kind of sleep you are getting.
So, here we will talk about some of the key aspects with regards to the best direction to sleep and take you through the various important tips. Make sure to follow what you learn to experience the right results.
The Importance Of Sleep
Sleep is extremely important for the sake of proper and regular functioning of the body. When you don’t get the right amount of sleep, your body will not be able to work appropriately. You will be very tired and sluggish and this is going to impact your overall productivity. To feel fresh and rejuvenated in the morning, you have to be sure that you are getting adequate and proper sleep.
Feeling restless at night can be the cause of several health ailments. Lack of sleep also leads to stress which could trigger a wide array of medical problems.
So, you need to know the best direction to sleep and other tips that will allow you to rest well.
Best Direction To Sleep: The Vastu Guide
Vastu has a solution for everything. It tells you the right sleeping direction and position so that you can enjoy a better sense of well-being. But, the Vastu rule depends largely on the hemisphere you are residing in. The rule is different in the northern and southern hemispheres. So, we will tell you the rules for both sides and based on which hemisphere you reside in, you can choose the right set of rules.
It is believed that the Vastu rules have a direct relation with the magnetic pull of the earth. So be sure that you are following the right rules to maximize the results.
Best Direction To Sleep In The Northern Hemisphere
It is very important to know that the magnetic field and electromagnetic energy have a direct bearing on the health of an individual. Just like the earth, even our body has two magnetic poles. If the pole of our body and the pole of the earth is in the same line, they can repel each other and this will lead to disturbed sleep.
The magnetic pole of the earth runs from north to south. The positive pole is present in the north direction and the negative pole is there in the south. If you sleep in the north direction, the north pole of your body and the north pole of the earth may begin to repel each other.
So, Vastu believes that the best direction to sleep is the east and south direction. The direction is such that your head will be positioned towards the east or the south and your legs will point towards the west or the north. This direction is valid for people living in the northern hemisphere.
For those who live in the northern hemisphere, always make sure that you are following the above directions. Not just Vastu, even science believes that this is the right way to sleep. When you align your body in this direction, it will foster the right flow of energy and this, in turn, will allow you to enjoy a good night of sleep.
When you manage to sleep well, you will wake up fresh and energetic the next day.
Best Direction For Sleep – Southern Hemisphere
Those of you who stay in the southern hemisphere has a different set of rules to follow. Once again, the rules will change based on the direction of the magnetic poles of the earth and the electromagnetic energy surrounding you. Ideally, it is believed that you can sleep in any direction except the south. That is, your head should not point towards the south.
So, the suitable sleeping direction is north, east, and west.
The Bed Placement
Both Vastu and Feng Shui believe that there is a certain direction and some rules you have to follow when aligning the bed.
- First of all, never place your bed under any overhead beam
- The bed should be placed directly against a wall
- It should be so placed that the room door should be visible but it shouldn’t be in the line of the door
- Your feet should not point towards the door while sleeping
- Never have windows in such a direction that it obstructs the energy flow in the bed
- Never keep the bed with too much clutter. This disrupts the smooth energy flow
The Design Of The Bedroom
Along with the placement of the bed, you need to mind the bedroom design too for the right results. Let us see the salient points.
- The door of the room shouldn’t be in the same direction as the bed
- Choose the colour of the room in a way that it can rectify the Vastu doshas if any
- If you have the Vata dosha (air), you should choose the green and yellow colour theme
- For those who have the pitta dosha (fire), their colour schemes need to be blue and green
- Ones with the kapha dosha (earth and water), they should opt for red and violet colour schemes
What Does The Science Say?
Science says that electromagnetic energy has a strong role to play while sleeping and can directly impact health.
Here are some of the key points to be noted to get the best sleep.
- If you sleep with your head pointing towards the south, the sleep quality will improve and it will also lower your blood pressure
- If you sleep with your head pointing towards the north, your sleep will be impaired. It leads to an increase in pressure on the brain.
- Also, it is advised to sleep on the side, if you are facing back or even with neck pain
- Further, if you sleep to your left, it will aid in better breathing and body functions too
So, the bottom-line remains the fact that the best direction of sleep is when the magnetic fields don’t repel and thereby the geomagnetic interference is minimal. When all the five elements of nature, the different directions, and the electromagnetic fields; are well aligned, this will lead to an improvement in health and wellbeing.
What Makes East The Best Direction To Sleep As Per Vastu?
The sun rises in the east and therefore this direction is known to be conducive to spiritual activities. It is good for meditational purposes too.
So, those who sleep with their head towards the east and feet towards the west, will have better concentration levels and also improved memory.
The planet rotates from the west to the east. The waves that flow in the direction of the planet have positive energy. So, when you sleep in the east, these waves will help in balancing all the three doshas. This, in turn, will allow you to sleep easily and it is also conducive to your health.
What Makes South The Best Direction To Sleep As Per Vastu?
Vastu highly recommends sleeping with the head in the south direction and feet towards the north. Here are a few benefits that it has to reap.
Sleeping in this direction will give you several health benefits. The south is known to be the direction of Lord Yama, the God of Death. So, when you sleep in this direction, you fall into a deep sleep and the aids in lowering the blood pressure and can cut down the anxiety levels as well.
It helps the nerve cells to rejuvenate and communicate well. So, it allows the brain to work at full capacity and will let you enjoy better productivity at work. This direction of sleep is also likely to bring wealth and prosperity. It will help in healing the problems of sleep deprivation
The Directions To Avoid
Here we will talk about some of the directions which you should avoid while sleeping.
The Head Towards The West
This is not a recommended sleeping position. It is mostly seen that people tend to get restless when they sleep in this position. This may impact the quality of sleep they are getting and will hurt your productivity too.
However, if you are chasing success, sleeping in this direction can allow you to achieve your goals as it may make you success driven. So, only sleep in the west direction when you want to clinch your goals.
The Head Towards The North
This is the wrong direction to sleep as it can hurt your health. When you sleep with your head pointed towards the north direction, the electromagnetic energy of the earth can clash with that of yours. This can lead to an increase in blood pressure and it also has a bad impact on the heart.
In some cases, it can disrupt the flow of blood in the body and can lead to acute headaches and other heart ailments too.
Best Direction To Sleep For Couples
As a couple, you should strive to know the right direction to sleep such that you both can enjoy a harmonious and peaceful relationship.
- Position the bed in the south or the south-west direction
- If you wish to have a successful married life, the wife should sleep to the left of the husband
- The heads should be in the south or the south-east or the south-west direction
- Never face the door while sleeping
- Don’t have any overhead beams above your sleeping position
- Keep Vastu elements like elephant figurines in your room to promote healthy relation
Know more about the role of elephant figurines and how they can bring prosperity by clicking here
The Master Bedroom – Best Direction To Sleep
The master bedroom holds a pivotal position in your home. You have to make sure that you are following all Vastu rules if you want your home to be truly prosperous. Here are some rules to bear in mind with regards to designing the master bedroom and the sleeping as well.
- The master bedroom should always be built in the southwest area
- The headboard of the bed should be in the south or the west direction
- No window should be present behind the headboard
- No overhead beam should be present above the bed
- Sleep with the head in the east or the south direction. This will promote a better quality of sleep and improved health as well
The Useful Tips
Here are some of the tips that you should follow for the sake of getting a good night’s sleep.
- Feng Shu believes in circulating positive energies. It states they the bed should not be placed against the wall or even below any window. This prevents the smooth flow of positive vibrations
- Don’t keep electronic gadgets like computers, or PlayStation, inside the room. They tend to disrupt the flow of positive energy.
- The right sleeping position as per Feng Shui and Vastu is one in which your feet shouldn’t point towards the door
- The bed should always be placed in the command position. This is the position wherein the bed is on the wall opposite the bedroom door. It should however not be aligned with the door.
- Try to have elephant figurines in the room for a better relationship.
- Incorporate plants and auspicious paintings in the room. These tend to cut down the negative energy from the room.
By following these tips, you should be able to circulate the right wave of positivity and this will also facilitate quick and easy sleeping. When you sleep well, your body is going to feel lighter, fresher, and healthier. This, in turn, will have a direct impact on your productivity.
Can sleeping position impact your health?
Yes, the sleeping position has a significant role to play in determining your health. If you do not sleep well, you will feel sluggish and your body will not work to its peak.
Is west a good direction to sleep?
The west is not the ideal direction. For some people, this direction is suited as it makes them success driven.
Does the sleeping position depend upon the hemisphere?
Yes, the sleeping positions are governed based on the hemisphere you live in. The rules are different for people living in the Southern hemisphere as compared to those in the Northern side.
Which direction is bad for sleeping?
If you live in the northern hemisphere, do not sleep with your head in the north. This will clash the energies and can lead to impairment of health. Similarly, if you live in the southern hemisphere, do not sleep with your head in the south direction. This again will lead to the clash of the poles and energies.
Which is the best direction to sleep?
As per Vastu, the southwest direction is the ideal direction to sleep. You can place your head towards the south, the south-west or the south-east.
Can Vastu help in curing sleep anxiety?
There are a few Vastu positions for sleeping wherein you can cut down on your anxiety levels. However, this is not a medical method and should not be substituted for medical advice. People have however experienced changes by choosing to follow Vastu sleeping rules.
Should you sleep on the left?
Yes, Science believes that sleeping towards the left will always have the right effect on your body. This helps in better blood circulation and easy breathing as well.