When buying a home, many waits for auspicious days to move in. Today, we’ll discuss the significance of this ceremony and home entrance tips.
People look forward to moving into a new home because it represents a new chapter in their lives. When it comes to purchasing a house or moving, Indians often place a premium on Shubh Muhurta. They think that doing the Griha Pravesh ritual would bring them luck. Griha Pravesh is a Hindu ritual in which a puja ceremony is performed on the auspicious occasion of a person’s first transfer to a new residence.
The auspicious dates of Griha Pravesh Puja are often determined by the priest based on the astrological chart. Aside from that, there are numerous rules to follow for Griha Pravesh Puja Vidhi to guarantee good energy and prosperity for the family.
More significantly, before moving into a new home, check the auspicious date, day, and constellation according to the Hindu calendar or with an astrologer and Vastu Shastra specialist. The Griha Pravesh Puja Vidhi includes decorating the entryway of the home and singing mantras.
What Exactly Is Griha Pravesh Puja?
The Griha Pravesh ritual is a Hindu worship ceremony conducted before entering a new home for the first time to cleanse the surroundings and safeguard the property from bad energy.
With the potential pandemic in mind, an increasing number of individuals are choosing for online ceremonies with priests among the guests helping them through the process. People may satisfy their religious convictions while being secure in this manner.
It is essential not just for the homeowner but for everyone. The home, according to Vastu, is made up of five elements: Sun, Earth, Water, Fire, and Air, and the perfect mix of all of these provides happiness, health, and happiness and success to the house. Griha Pravesh is also known by several names in the various Indian languages. In Telugu, it is known as Griha Pravesh or Griha Pravesam, while in Bengali, it is known as Grihoprobesha.
It is thought that entering the home at an auspicious period simplifies life and reduces the family’s issues after relocating to a new residence. Days such as
- Vasant Panchami
- Akshaya Tritiya
- Gudi Padwa
is auspicious for this, Muhurta.
Uttrayan, Holi, Adhikmas, and Shradh Paksha are all unlucky.
If you are moving into a new home on Dussehra, there is no need to choose an auspicious hour since the whole day is considered fortunate. A Kalash Puja is also done before the Griha Pravesh.
A copper urn is filled with nine different grains. Then a coin is placed. Following this, the coconut is put on the Kalash, and the individual enters the home with mantras to be read by the priest.
What Is The Significance Of The Term “Housewarming”?
People traditionally mark the initial entrance into their new house with a Griha Pravesh ceremony and an invitation to friends and relatives. When central heating was not accessible in the home, the word “housewarming” presumably arose years ago. To properly ‘heat’ the home, visitors congregate around a wood-lit fireplace.
Things To Do Before Griha Pravesh Puja
Choose an auspicious date.
Always enter your house on a lucky day. Though many fortunate days are available throughout the festival season for Griha Pravesh, you may see the finest Griha Pravesh ceremony date in 2022.
- Dussehra and Diwali are highly auspicious for Griha Pravesh, and you may do the puja with the help of a priest.
- Magha, Falgun, Vaishakh, and Jyeshtha are considered the ideal months for Griha Pravesh Puja and entering the home.
- Ashadha, Shravan, Bhadrapada, Ashwin, and Paush are not good months for home entrance.
Finish the last-minute building work.
Only once the building work is completed, shall Griha Pravesh Puja be performed. This is one of the most crucial things to consider while relocating and doing the Griha Pravesh ceremony.
- If construction is going on, avoid relocating to a new residence.
- Only relocate to a new home when it is entirely ready.
- Griha Pravesh denotes the beginning of a new stage in one’s life. The new home should be finished in every way.
- Remember that work such as wood, fittings, paint, and so on must be done.
Keep In Mind That The Home Should Be Vastu Compliant.
Ensure the home is Vastu compliant, particularly the house of worship and the main entrance.
What To Do On The Day Of Griha Pravesh Puja?
Read on if you’re wondering what to do on Griha Pravesh Puja! Here are some simple tips to make your home look festive!
Decorate the front door of the home.
The main gate, known as the “Singh Dwar,” should be ornamented since it is the face of the “Vastu Purush.”
- Ensure that the front entry is decked with torans of flowers, marigold flowers, and fresh mango leaves on the day of Griha Pravesh Puja. Place them at the corners and arches of your home and use them as centerpieces for tables.
- A swastika sign or the feet of Goddess Lakshmi may also be placed on the main entrance since they are symbols of wealth and good luck.
- You may add a Go-Padma, a lotus, or any other spiritual symbol on both ends.
- Use traditional flowers like marigolds and tube roses as table centrepieces. Other popular flowers for this occasion include lotus and shevanti.
- You can also use colourful threads to hang flowers at various points around your house.
Create a Rangoli
Rangoli is associated with the holiday season and is said to promote riches and fortune.
- Make a rangoli out of rice flour or use bright colors to decorate the floor. Rangoli on the floor is said to summon the Goddess Lakshmi.
- Make sure the Rangoli does not get in the way of anybody entering the residence.
Clean the whole home.
Ensure the home is cleaned before doing Griha Pravesh Puja to make it appear pleasant. This will bring happiness and vitality to your new house.
- The first item you should acquire for the home is a broom to clean up the clutter before the ceremony and a new beginning.
- Wipe off every inch of your home. To clean and cleanse the area, wet the floor with salt water.
- It may also be washed with a solution of salt, lemon juice, and white vinegar. Havan (burning plants and wood) is said to cleanse and clear the environment.
- Distribute gangajal around the home. Keep Gangajal in an underused part of your home in a separate urn, and cover it with raw mango leaves.
- Sprinkle gangajal on top of these leaves. Gangajal is said to have pure energy that cleanses the home of harmful vibes.
Home entryway flower decorating
Decorate the whole home for Griha Pravesh Puja, not just the entrance door and prayer space. Fresh flowers brighten up the room.
- Use fresh flowers for tabletop hangings, arches, corners, and centerpieces.
- Marigolds, tube roses, and shevanti, as well as lotus and multicolored threads, may be used to embellish traditional-themed strings and garlands.
- Hangings constructed of flowery balls and flowers may be utilized to draw attention to certain home areas.
- If you like a more western look, use lilies, orchids, roses, and carnations with pearl hangings or bright curtains.
Create a Mandal for the Griha Pravesh Puja.
Before beginning the Griha Pravesh Puja rite, a Mandala Chitra, a geometric structure of spiritual symbols, should be drawn. This is done to seek the favor of the deities and planets. The idols should be positioned in the house’s east orientation.
Turn on the lights for Griha Pravesh Puja.
On the day of Griha Pravesh, ensure the whole home, particularly the main entrance, is brilliantly illuminated.
- There should be no shadows anywhere in the home.
- To light up the home, utilize LEDs or fairy lights.
- Lighting an earthen lamp brings good luck and pleasant energy.
Plan the dishes for the visitors on Griha Pravesh day.
Plan ahead of time the dish that will be served to your guests on the day of Griha Pravesh. Because the puja is being done on an auspicious day, vegetarian food should be provided.
First, serve food to the priest, then to the visitors. On the day of Griha Pravesh, prasad, such as pudding or kheer, is prepared.
Make appropriate seating arrangements for the visitors.
Griha Pravesh ceremonies often require worshipers to sit on the floor. Arrange carpets, mattresses, or chairs for those who cannot sit on the floor.
Dos And Don’ts Of Griha Pravesh Puja
|Decorate the main entrance and the floor with flowers and Rangoli. Decorate the main entryway with auspicious symbols such as the swastika.||Besides the cooking gas stove, avoid bringing furniture into your new house before completing Griha Pravesh Puja.|
|Break the coconut before entering the home.||Do not wear black before entering the house.|
|Put your right foot first in the first step.||If a pregnant lady in the family or someone has died, do not move to the new home.|
|Purify the home by sprinkling salt water on it.||Avoid entering if the structure’s doors, windows, roof, or other components are incomplete.|
|When visitors leave your house, you might give them candy, sculptures, or with money. Give food and presents to the priest who is being worshiped. ||Do not let your visitors leave the Griha Pravesh Puja empty-handed.|
|Griha Pravesh Ceremony Do’s||Griha Pravesh Ceremony Don’ts|
|After the Griha Pravesh Puja ritual, stay in the new dwelling for at least three days.||After completing Griha Pravesh Puja, do not leave the new dwelling unoccupied.|
Perform the Griha Pravesh ceremony only after the new residence has been made habitable for the family. Nitin Parmar, a consultant at Vastu Plus, recommends that any unfinished work within the home be painted over and that it get fresh coats of paint. If there is a detached home, the roof should also be prepared.
- The house’s gates, windows, and any other fittings that are a part of it should be finished.
- One needs to pay homage to Vastu Purush in addition to the other deities.
- The Swastik’s sign and Mother Lakshmi’s footprints should be affixed to the front doorway of the dwelling.
- The home’s front door needs to have some toran draped over it for decoration.
- Mango leaves and marigold flowers are used to create this item.
- It is essential that the house’s temple be positioned in the northeast and built on the day designated as Griha Pravesh.
How To Perform Griha Pravesh Puja In The Absence Of A Priest?
The Griha Pravesh Puja ceremony, as specified in the Hindu ceremonies for the new dwelling, is done in an intricate way according to the Vedic texts. As a result, it is essential to seek the advice of a priest who is well-versed in the ceremonies.
However, there may be times when locating a priest is impossible. Hindu rituals may be used to revere your new house.
- To begin with, consult the Hindu calendar to determine the auspicious day for Griha Pravesh Puja.
- You should also know everything on the Griha Pravesh Puja material list. Arrange the things on the Griha Pravesh Puja List in the order listed.
- Clean your home and add rangoli and flowers to the entryway.
- Enter the new home on the first day with an idol or portrait of Lord Ganesha in your hand.
- Install the Lord in the house’s northeast corner.
- Two diyas should be lit in front of the idol.
- Prasad, such as sweets, flowers, and fruits, should be offered to the Lord. Place an urn filled with Gangajal or other river water near the idol in a copper vase.
- Cover the kalash with four mango leaves and coconut.
- Use a garland made of mango leaves at the entrance to the home to clear bad energy.
- Light the stove in the kitchen as the next phase in the Griha Pravesh Puja ritual. Bring milk to a boil in a new pot and add rice and sugar.
- Distribute it as prasad to the visitors.
- Perform Mangal Aarti with a camphor lamp. As part of the Griha Pravesh Puja Vidhi, you may blast a bell or conch shell.
- Now, crack the coconut and serve it as a prasad to the visitors.
- Sprinkle the Kalash water with mango leaves all around the home.
- After the Griha Pravesh Puja, remain at home and do not leave for at least three days.
- Conch blowing is one of the Griha Pravesh Puja rituals that may be performed and is said to fend off harmful spirits.
Can We Do The Griha Pravesh Puja Without A Muhurta?
People like to do Griha Pravesh Puja only at auspicious times. If you don’t believe in any of this, work around your time and convenience. However, it is critical to conduct home peace courses so that good energy enters the home and negative and bad energies leave. Following service, you may give money or food to charity or the destitute. You might later commemorate this event with your loved ones.
Griha Pravesh Pooja Material: You Will Need These Things For Worship.
During the puja, you will need Griha Pravesh Poojana materials, such as the Mandir Sthapana and the Ganga Jal.
If you are a beginner, here are some tips to get you started. The first step is to decorate your house. You can do this by enlisting the help of a female member of your family.
In addition, you will need kumkum, mango leaves, coconut, and a Mangal Kalash. After that, you must carry the Ganesha idol inside the house on this auspicious day. Note the additional materials required for the puja –
- Desi Ghee
- Havan Material
- Dry Mango Wood
- Betel nut
- Black Sesame
- Ganga Jal
- Green Cardamom
- Whole Rice
- Bada Diya Chowki
- Betel leaves
- Punch nuts (5 types of fruits)
- Copper Kalash Flour
- Roli or Kumkum
- Five types of sweet cotton
- Leaves of Mango or Ashoka tree
- Molly five kinds of fruit yellow cloth incense sticks
- Upanayana or Janeu Flower, and a garland of flowers
- Red cloth curd
- Unboiled milk
- Dhoop batti
Before Griha Pravesh Puja, prepare the list of materials mentioned above and keep all the materials ready for the Puja.
How To Perform Griha Pravesh Puja?
A Griha Pravesh Puja is performed before entering the new house to welcome the positive forces. You can call the priest for this so that he can read the shlokas and mantras. Griha Pravesh Puja removes all negative energies from the house.
Let us tell you how to worship:
Step 1: Break a petha (vegetable) and leave it on the house’s doorstep. The lady of the house should also break a coconut and leave it on the doorstep as it is a symbol of removing obstacles.
Step 2: Worship the Kalash and first fill the Kalash with water and 9 types of grains and coins. After this, a red cloth is tied around the coconut and placed on the vase’s side along with mango leaves.
Step 3: Take this Kalash inside the house and keep it near the Havan.
Step 4: Havan is also performed at the house’s entrance so three types of defects are removed- digging the earth, cutting trees, and breaking stones. Havan is performed to remove evil doshas and to seek blessings from God. All the family members sit around the Havan Kund, and the priest recites the holy mantra. Aromatic and medicinal herbs and camphor used during Griha Pravesh Havan purify the house, ward off negative waves and symbolize new auspicious beginnings with good energies.
Step 5: Light a diya to attract spiritual energy and seek divine protection.
According to Vastu Shastra, the lamp of worship should never be extinguished by blowing air from the mouth.
One can also perform Ganapati Puja or Satyanarayan Puja on the day of Griha Pravesh. These can be conducted after Vastu Shanti Havan. Lord Ganesha is the destroyer of all obstacles.
Hence, his blessings are taken on the day of Griha Pravesh. Satyanarayana (form of Lord Vishnu) worship is one of the easiest rituals and is believed to bring good luck, health, and prosperity.
House Entry In A Rented House
If you are shifting to a rented house, you can do a simple Griha Pravesh Puja, where you will not need a priest.
- Clean the house and decorate it with flowers, auspicious symbols. Also, put photos and idols of Ishta deities.
- You can also do a small Havan by chanting some mantras like Gayatri Mantra or Navagraha Mantra 108 times. If you do not know the mantra, you can also play the recorded mantra on your phone.
- Light a lamp and give the poor sweets, fruits, and money.
- People are often confused about whether they should perform Griha Pravesh Puja for a rented house or not. It is good to perform Griha Pravesh Puja in a rented house as it is an auspicious ceremony.
- Experts say that even in a rented house, the Griha Pravesh ceremony will help remove any negative energy and bring positivity to the home for a peaceful and prosperous life.
As mentioned above, you can do a havan or yagya to energize the house and keep them active instead of a big puja.
Griha Pravesh Ceremony Decoration Ideas
Griha Pravesh decoration ideas include a copper pot and nine types of grains. The prasad, or offerings, are offered by guests to the deity.
This auspicious day is celebrated with friends and family. The puja is performed on the floor, so the floor should be carpeted, and chairs should be arranged around the puja area.
During this auspicious day, the deity is worshiped with great devotion.
- Arranging flowers
Flowers are the most straightforward and attractive method to adorn the home for any Puja, particularly Griha Pravesh Puja. Flower arrangements will aid in creating the ideal atmosphere for your Griha Pravesh Puja.
- Decoration of the stairwell
An attractive and traditional décor option for the Indian Griha Pravesh ceremony is the artistic adornment of flowers on the staircase.
Fairy lights may be a great way to brighten up the inside of your house for the home entry ceremony.
How Should Puja Prasad Be Disposed Of After The Griha Pravesh Ceremony?
Previously, people would toss flowers and leaves used for worship into the sea or river, but this should no longer be done because of rising water pollution.
- Make dried flower potpourri by drying the flowers used in Griha Pravesh Puja with cinnamon or dried citrus peel.
- You may manufacture organic manure at home using flowers from the house entry puja, banana leaves, betel leaves, and other natural materials.
- Local municipal corporations in several places have constructed separate trash cans along beaches and rivers for religious contributions alone.
- Remaining bits of wood, herbs, ashes, and so on may be buried in the garden.
Commonly Asked Home Entrance Questions
When applying for a job, there are some common questions you’ll be asked. These questions are designed to break the ice and determine how personable you are.
However, you don’t want to talk endlessly about your life. Instead, stick to answering questions that show what you’re passionate about.
A good example of a good answer is an overview of your background, school, internship, and why you’re applying for the job. Check out the questions and their answers below –
Q: Is it possible to do Griha Pravesh Puja after relocating?
Before moving, do Griha Pravesh Puja or Vastu Puja to drive away bad energies.
Q: Can we spend the night in a new residence before the Griha Pravesh?
You can sleep in the new residence before the Griha Pravesh Puja.
Q: Why is milk boiled during Griha Pravesh?
The boiling of milk represents wealth and plenty of food, both of which will bless the new house.
Q: Can I move my furnishings ahead of Griha Pravesh?
Before moving anything to a new dwelling, Vastu Puja must be performed.
Q: Can I move my belongings before Griha Pravesh Puja?
Besides cooking gas or a stove, do not bring anything to the new residence until Vastu Puja is completed.
Q: Is it possible to move into a new property on Friday?
The Muhurta of the home entrance determines it. You may move on any fortunate day.
Q: What should you do initially when you move into a new house?
Check the fuse box and water valve as soon as you move into a new house to ensure the locks function. Set up utilities and personalize them with children and pets.
Q: What does good fortune bring to a new home?
Items like salt, honey, rice, and candles, among others, indicate wealth, prosperity, happiness, hospitality, and good fortune.
Q: Is it necessary for me to clean the home before I move?
Yes, before you move anything, you must carefully clean the whole home.
Q: What are the best utensils to use during Griha Pravesh Puja?
According to Vastu Shastra, one should avoid using brass utensils for worship. Copper or silver utensils are ideal. Oil lamps may be made of brass.
Q: What is the purpose of Vastu Shanti Puja?
A Vastu Shanti Puja is conducted to get the blessings of Vastu Purush, the god of land and direction, who is claimed to eliminate the house’s widespread Vastu faults.
Q: Is it necessary for me to clean it before moving into my new home?
Thoroughly cleaning the home before entering with all your stuff is usually a good idea.
Q: Why is Navagraha Shanti Puja done during Griha Pravesh?
Navagraha is Sanskrit for “nine planets.” The house is said to be influenced by all nine planets. As a result, this puja is done to appease all nine planets and get benefits.
Questions That Are Often Put to Rest (FAQs)
Is doing the Griha Pravesh Puja in the evening possible?
A: It is determined by the muhurta. You may even do the Griha Pravesh Puja in the evening.
Q: Where exactly should the Kalash be kept in the brand-new home?
A: It is recommended that the kalash be stored in an inaccessible area of the home, such as where the Gangajal and mango leaves are kept.
Q: Can pregnant ladies conduct Griha Puja?
A: Pregnant women are allowed to conduct the Griha Pravesh Puja as long as the fasting and other regulations are modified.
Q: During the Griha Pravesh Puja, why do we ring the bell during the Griha Pravesh Puja? What does this symbolize?
A: The bell ringing drives away lousy energy and contributes to cleansing the area.
Q: Why do we utilize Tulsi leaves when making offerings at the Griha Pravesh Puja?
A: Because it is believed that all the gods and goddesses live in the tulsi plant, its leaves are traditionally included in the naivedyam (offering) that is presented to the Lord. Worshipping Tulsi, an avatar of the goddess Lakshmi, gives the household pleasure, success, and wealth.