Whenever you buy a new home, it is considered to be very auspicious. This is why most families choose to do the Griha Pravesh puja before they enter the home. The griha pravesh puja is one of the most significant pujas and holds a lot of value and importance.
So, here you are going to know some of the best griha pravesh tips that will allow you to make the most of your new home. We will talk about some of the important details and also emphasize the significance of the housewarming ceremony.
The New Beginnings
When you step into a new house, it is an indicator of new beginnings and new phases in your life. Most people are aware of the importance of shubh muharats and so they always enter the new house on such days. It is believed that carrying out the griha pravesh helps in kickstarting the right fortune and thereby blesses the new house and aids in new beginnings.
It is seen that the priests are called who decide on a certain day to carry out the griha pravesh puja. They choose the date after consulting the astrological counting. To make sure that the griha pravesh puja is conducted as per the right norms and brings positive energy, one has to adhere to the right griha pravesh tips.
A lot of different things are to be consulted including the date, the hours, tithi, nakshatra, and more. Also, it is important to decorate the house keeping the different elements in mind.
So, let us tell you the different details associated with griha pravesh.
What Is Griha Pravesh Puja?
The griha pravesh puja or the house warming ceremony is conducted when someone enters their new home for the first time. This puja aims to purify the environment and ward off all evil and negative energy. This is a means to cleanse the aura of the home.
Even those who believe in Vastu and astrology consider that this puja is very important not just for the house owner but the whole family as well. During the pandemic, as people were not allowed it huddle in groups, the entire puja was often conducted online as the priest guided them through the process.
So, such is the importance of the griha pravesh puja that despite the lockdown, people didn’t move into the new home without this religious offering.
It is believed that five elements make up the house. These include
For a house to bring in the right wave of happiness and prosperity, all the five elements need to be aligned. The main aim of the griha pravesh puja is to ensure that when you set foot in your new home, all the elements are completely aligned.
One of the renowned Vastu experts stated, “As moving into a new home is an event that marks a significant change in a person’s life, it is very important that you pay your homage and respect to the deities and the ruling chakras. Some days are considered to be extremely favourable for griha pravesh muhrat and these include Gudi Padwa, Akshay Tritiya, Dusshera, Navratri, Vasant Panchami, Ganesh Chaturthi and so on.
At the same time, there are days when the puja shouldn’t be conducted and these include Holi, Uttarayan, Amavasya, Shraddha, Adhikmas. You should avoid these days completely and none of the priests is going to suggest such times for the griha pravesh puja as the house will not be auspicious then.”
Some of these muhurtas are extremely auspicious. For instance, Akshay Tritiya in particular is very lucky. The whole day is pure and the puja can be performed at any time. This is why a lot of people want to do their housewarming on this day.
What Is The Kalash Puja?
Often, right before the griha pravesh puja, a Kalash puja is likely to be performed. So, let us see what this puja is all about.
You need to take a copper pot and fill it with water. Along with this, you have to place nine different types of grains in it along with a coin. Dip all this in the water present in the Kalash.
Now, you need to place a coconut on top of this pot and then the head of the family will take the pot and enter the house. While he is doing so, the priest will continue to chant several mantras. This is going to bless the house and surround your home with positive energy and vibration.
What Is Housewarming?
While it is hard to know why the term house waring originated, there is a theory that goes along.
It is believed that long back, there was no central heating system present. So, people used to bring logs of wood when they came for the new home party and they would gather around the fireplace to light the wood. This was the way griha pravesh puja was done and it would warm up the house.
Probably, this is how the term housewarming party originated.
Griha Pravesh Tips: The Things To Do Before Puja
Even before the puja commences, there are several things that you need to do. The process kickstarts a whole lot before you sit down to worship the gods.
Choosing the date
First of all, you need to decide which date is apt for you to do the griha pravesh puja. It is always done on an auspicious day and even the hours are chosen to bring in the best of good luck and fortune.
If you know a priest, they will take a look at the astrological details and the ruling planets and they will guide you with a befitting date. There are a few very auspicious days, like Diwali, Dusshera, Akshay Tritiya, and more. You can always choose such days after consulting your priest.
Several Hindi months are considered ideal for the house warming ceremony while some months are not favourable. Let us give you a list.
The favourable months
The months that are not favourable
Vastu Compliant Homes
The next thing you need to do is make sure that the house is Vastu compliant. While all parts of your home should adhere to the principles of Vastu, the kitchen and the main entrance, in particular, should adhere to the key Vastu principles.
Mostly, it is believed that your home needs to be fully constructed and ready to move in when you are performing the griha pravesh puja. When the puja is ongoing, no other construction work should take place. The home should be in a ready-to-move-in state.
As per the shastra, it is believed that as you enter your home, it is the start of a new phase and so everything should be completed and even the finer details should be all taken care of. It is only when you move into a fully complete home that it is going to be considered auspicious.
However, in a lot of cases, people are unable to complete their construction completely and some of the finer details may be left out. The effort should be to get as much work done as possible.
Make sure you have duly sent housewarming invitation cards to everyone who you intend to invite. There are several designs of housewarming invitation cards and you are free to select the one you deem fit the underlying idea is to choose a beautiful way of inviting others and letting people know that you are going to kickstart a new phase.
The Things To Do On The Puja Day
As you already know the things to be done before the Puja, we are now going to talk about the key things to keep in mind on the day of puja as well.
The entrance to your house holds significant importance. You should pay the right emphasis on the door and decorate it in the best way possible. This is a means to invite the Gods and good energy to grace your house and bless all of you as well.
Here are some of the top griha pravesh puja tips you need to follow for the entrance.
- Always decorate the main door nicely. While you should use plenty of flowers, the marigold toran and mango tree leaves are an absolute must. They are considered to be a part of the puja.
- The main entrance is considered to be the face of Vastu Purusha and therefore is an auspicious area.
- Another thing you should do is place a lotus on either side of the door. This is considered to be a pious symbol as a lotus is believed to be the flower to offer to Goddess Lakshmi.
- You can also choose to put the swastika sign on the door as it tends to bring in prosperity.
- A lot of people choose to put the stickers of the feet of Goddess Lakshmi on the main door too. This is likely to bring you wealth and thereby improve your finances.
Illuminating the house
When you are doing the puja, you have to make sure that the house is well illuminated. None of the corners of your home should be dark. You can choose a blend of different lights including LED and fairy lights as this will lend an air of richness and light to your place.
You should also make it a point to have an earthen lamp lit in your home. This is likely to steer good fortune and even bring positive energy to your place.
After entering the home, close to the entrance, you should make a vibrant Rangoli. You can use rice flour or even colours for making it. Some people choose stencils for making it and there are also wooden blocks available that can be placed to create wonderfully artistic rangolis.
So, you have several options at hand. Make sure that you place the rangoli in such a way that guests won’t end up stepping on them. The rangoli is believed to bring in both wealth and success.
It is also known to attract goddess Lakshmi to your home and thereby bless your place with good vibes.
Before you commence the puja, it is essential to make sure that you thoroughly clean the place. An uncleaned home is not suited for conducting the griha pravesh puja.
- To purify the place, make sure to mop your place with salt water.
- Saltwater is known to absorb the negative vibration and drive away the bad vibes from your home.
- You can also make a mix of salt, white vinegar, and lime juice and use this to clean your home. This too will cleanse the space thoroughly.
- Apart from this, when you sit down and do the havan wherein you will put herbs and wood in the fire pit, the smoke is known to thoroughly cleanse the home.
Purification is different from cleaning and both factors are equally important.
Ganga Jal is believed to be the purest form of water and it helps in circulating the right positive vibes in the home. So, take a Kalash and keep Ganga Jal in it. Now take some raw mango leaves and place them above the Kalash.
You can use these leaves to sprinkle the water in the different corners of your home and this will have a purification effect and help in cleaning your home of the negative vibes and will purify the atmosphere and the place.
The floral decoration
When you are carrying out the griha pravesh puja, the role of flowers is instrumental. Never use artificial flowers for decoration as it is always important to stick to the use of fresh flowers
- Fresh flowers also leave a lingering aroma that beautifies the place and makes the ambience soothing and relaxing. There are tons of places wherein you can use floral decoration and these include table centrepieces, corners, arches, and even overhead hangings.
- Apart from this, you can also make floral balls and different types of flower-based hangings for the right effect.
- Marigold flowers are often beaded together to make garland and floral string-type décor that can be hung near the rooms or even weaved into different artistic patterns as well.
- If you want to give your home an artistic and English touch, make it a point to rope in the use of flowers like orchids, lilies, and even roses. You can also choose to have colourful drapes and standees with flowers too.
The sky is the limit when it comes to the amount of decoration you can do with the help of flowers. They truly make the home look like a wonderland.
Griha Pravesh Tips – Making The Mandala
You have to make sure that you have the mandala drawn when you are doing the griha pravesh puja. The mandala is the drawing of a spiritual symbol which is done geometrically.
When you make the mandala, the idols should all be placed in the east-facing direction. The aim of making the mandala is to call both God and the planets and to seek their blessings.
The Seating Arrangements
Even though it is a new home, you have to make sure that there is a proper arrangement for everyone to be well seated. For the griha pravesh to be conducted, people need to sit on the floor as the havan is done on the floor since fire is evoked.
At the same time, you should also provision chairs to ensure those who can’t sit on the floor can be seated.
The Food Arrangements
Once you have planned for the seating, the next thing you have to take care of has to be the food. You have to make an elaborate plan for the meals. Make sure to have a well-planned menu in advance for the guests.
It is always important to offer the food first to the priest as they are the messenger of God. The next thing to bear in mind is that you should try to focus on arranging vegetarian food as you will be worshipping God.
Also, it is advised to make something sweet as well because sweet is considered to be a sign of good vibes. You can make halwa or kheer and make sure to offer it to the Gods and the priests before serving it to the guests.
The House Entering Rules
There are certain rules you need to follow when you are entering the home for the first time. Let us see what they are.
- The owner of the house and his wife need to enter the home first. When they are entering the home, they need to carry these five items: Turmeric, Rice, Coconut, Jaggery, and Milk
- You should always put your right foot first when entering the house. The right foot is considered auspicious.
- Never wear black colour when you are performing puja and you need to know how to dress right.
- When you are sending out the invitation, make sure that you are inviting only the near and dear ones. If you end up having too many people, it may create a funnel of negative energy.
- No one should leave the house empty-handed. You should have arrangements for gifts to be given to the guests. The gifts can be chosen as per the budget you have. You can choose a silver coin, an idol of God, or even fresh plants and sweets. Feel free to choose what you deem fit and the budget at hand.
The Pujas To Perform
Kalash puja is the first puja that is done. We have mentioned the details of this puja earlier. This is done when you enter the home for the first time. It is then followed by griha pravesh puja.
For the griha pravesh puja to be completed, it is important to also carry out the Vastu puja. This puja helps in rectifying any Vastu Dosha that may have been skipped. It is an offering to God asking them to keep the Vastu elements aligned and bless your home with peace and prosperity.
Another puja that is done is the Ganesh puja. Whenever you start anything new, be it a fresh home or a new business, we always worship Lord Ganesh first. This is to seek his blessings for a fresh start to be pious and successful.
The Satyanarayana puja is also done. In this puja, we worship Lord Vishnu and seek his blessings to bring wealth and good fortune to our home.
Finally, the Navagraha Shanti pooja is also done. The underlying aim of this puja is to ensure that all the planets are well aligned and they are balanced leading to peace in your home.
Together, these pujas help in eliminating the negativity from your home.
Griha Pravesh Tips – The Dos And The Don’ts
Here is a list of the possible dos and don’ts that you need to follow when you are doing puja.
- Make sure the house is well cleaned and brightly lit
- Always decorate the house and especially the main entrance
- Before you step foot in the house, break coconut as it is considered an auspicious way of starting things. Also, make sure to place the right foot first.
- Sprinkle Ganga Jal as a means to purify the home members
- Always offer return favours to the guests as none of them should leave your home empty-handed.
- The priests should always be served food first
- You should stay in the home for at least three days after the ceremony. You can continue the stay or choose to stay somewhere else if a part of the renovation work is left.
Here are things you shouldn’t do
- Don’t wear black coloured clothes on the puja day
- Don’t do the puja if someone in the family has died recently
- Don’t leave the house empty after the puja
- Don’t cook food inside the food before the puja is done. The food to be served to the guests should be cooked outside or brought from somewhere else
- Don’t enter the house if significant construction work is left
- Don’t do the puja at the strike noon
- Don’t use artificial flowers for decorating the house. Natural flowers are the preferred choice
How To Perform The Griha Pravesh Puja?
While a priest will be there to officiate the puja and guide you about it, we are going to summarize the details for you. This is because you should have prior knowledge about how to do puja.
First of all, you should break an ash gourd and leave it at the front of the door. The lady who will be entering the house then needs to break the coconut and keep it on the threshold too. This will help in getting rid of the obstacles that would have otherwise come in the path.
The next stage is to perform the Kalash puja. A copper pot that is filled with water, nine types of grain and a coin is kept. Mango leaves are placed on top of the pot and a coconut draped in red cloth is kept on top of it.
The pot then needs to be taken inside the house while priests will chant the mantras. You should place it in a pious corner in the home or near the havan.
Now, you need to perform the havan. The purpose of the havan is to get rid of three key sins that we often engage in. These are digging the earth, cutting down trees, and also breaking down stones.
With this havan, you aim at seeking the blessings of God and seek forgiveness for your sins. The priest will chant sacred mantras and every family member should participate in the havan in alternating rounds.
You will pay aahuti which is a mix of herbs, and wood that is to be put in the fire pit. This helps in clearing all the negative vibes from the home and purifies the place leaving a cloud of positive vibes.
Several other pujas will be conducted too..
Can griha pravesh puja be done on any day?
No, it is always conducted on an auspicious day. Priests tell you the specific muhurta for doing this puja as it marks a significant new beginning.
Can I wear a black dress for griha pravesh puja?
No, you should avoid black as the colour is not considered to be auspicious.
Can I do the griha pravesh puja after shifting to the home?
The griha pravesh puja is done before you move to a new home. The puja aims to make the house worthy of living by offering prayer to God and clearing the negativity from the home
Can I sleep in the house before the griha pravesh ceremony?
No, you are not supposed to sleep in the house before the puja has been conducted.
Can I move my stuff into the house before the puja?
It is believed that nothing apart from the cooking gas and stove should be moved before the puja. However, for the sake of convenience, a lot of people now choose to move their stuff so that they can easily start living.
Why do you boil milk during the griha pravesh ceremony?
It is believed that boiling milk bestows the house with food and prosperity.
Can I do the griha pravesh puja even if I am pregnant?
Yes, pregnant women can do the puja but make sure they are not made to fast. if they are not comfortable. The lady doing the puja shouldn’t fall ill as it will be a bad omen.
Why is the house bell rung during the puja?
The ringing of the bell helps in removing the negative vibes and brings in positive energy.
Is the Vastu puja important during the house warming ceremony?
Yes, Lord Vastu is the God of land and directions and you want to appease the god when moving into your new home.
So, with these griha pravesh puja tips at your fingertips, you should be able to mark an auspicious start to your new journey. Buying a new home is a big chapter in anyone’s life and seeking the blessing of God helps makes the process a smooth one.
Let us know if you have any more tips you would like to share for the griha pravesh puja to be auspicious.