What Is Modular Kitchen | Materials | L-Shaped | Island Style | U Shaped | Parallel Layout | Linear Layout | Drawer Designs | Tips | Pros And Cons | FAQ
These days, most people choose to have a modular kitchen in their homes. The reason is simple – it is easy to retrieve stuff and it also makes for an efficient and orderly design. Here, we will share the different ideas for modular kitchens and explain how to have an efficient design that truly works wonders.
Another amazing thing about modular kitchens is that the units are all pre-made. This makes installation a piece of cake. It doesn’t entail effort or even time. Such kitchens are very versatile and functional at the same time.
Let us dive into the specifics now.
What Is A Modular Kitchen?
First of all, let us get started with the basics. A modular kitchen is one wherein small sections also known as modules are attached to build a larger unit and thereby the whole kitchen. It is a modern contemporary concept that is replacing the older and traditional system of the linear style of kitchen design.
In the ideal kitchen style, the module is pre-designed and only needs to be fit. Of course, they can be customised and made bigger or smaller based on the space in your kitchen. The idea simply is to have several drawers that can store a wide variety of stuff which in turn can be retrieved with the same ease without having to scatter the whole kitchen.
The modular kitchen is also known to offer the right décor element too. One can find drawers, countertops, micro-compartments, cabinets, and even shelves. Each of these help in saving a great deal of space and at the same time, it also keeps the stuff organized too. Assembling the structures and transporting them to install them with ease gets very handy with this design of the kitchen. You will be amazed at the number of design options you will get, the flexibility, the pricing, the colour chart, and more.
The Key Parameters To Note When Installing A Modular Kitchen
When you are looking to install a modular kitchen, there are plenty of points you will need to note down. Here, we are going to talk about them.
The different modules can be made of a wide variety of materials. From wood to PVC and even stainless steel, you have endless options as far as the materials of the modules are concerned. When you choose the best quality of materials, it will ensure that they will last longer and you won’t have to replace them now and then. The kitchen drawers are going to be used often and sometimes the use may be rough. This is why you should always opt for high-quality materials.
When buying modules for the kitchen area near the gas, you should choose boiling waterproof grade plywood. This is important as it will make sure that even if there is an accidental spillage, your drawers will not be ruined. Similarly, we will always recommend you to opt for laminates or acrylic as they tend to last long and serve the right need as well.
Of course, based on the materials chosen, your net price and budget are going to vary significantly. So, you have to weigh every aspect well and then decide which material you are going to use. It is important to make a trade-off between quality and price and settle accordingly.
It is also important to ensure that you select materials that are low maintenance. The kitchen is bound to get dirty now and then and low-maintenance materials will make it easier to be cleaned. For instance, sinks should be made of stainless steel.
The Kitchen Types
Now even with a modular kitchen, there are different layout options that you can choose from. It is particularly important to make sure that you pay heed to the style and design of the kitchen and this will help you come to the right decision regarding which style you need to opt for.
Let us here give you some of the details to allow you to come to the right decision. Mostly, if you have a flat wherein you are not allowed to remodel, you will not be able to choose a layout. The layout change will require structural change. But, on the other hand, if you have your own space and you are free to remodel, you can choose the layout you deem best.
So, knowing will never hurt.
1. The L-Shaped Kitchen
This is one of the best designs for smaller-sized homes. It is also apt for those whose kitchen seems to have a square shape. In the L-shaped layout, the corners can be effectively utilized as you can have the sink space there. Along with this, it offers you ample storage options as well. You can choose the length and the breadth based on your preferences.
The L-shaped variety allows you to align all your drawers in one end. The space at the other end ensures that there will be ample room for you to stand. If you have a small kitchen space, this might be the perfect design to opt for.
2. The Kitchen Islands
This is the new trending design at the moment. Rather than sticking to the L or the U shape, in this style of kitchen, you end up with an island counter. This could be used to include a sink or you can make it a dining space wherein people can eat food and enjoy their time. You can also use it as a countertop for keeping your food as well. The option is wide open for you.
3. U-Shaped Kitchen
This is another common and efficient layout that you can choose from. Here, the three walls of the kitchen unite together to form a U-shaped design. As you can make out from the space, there are counters on both sides and therefore with this layout, you will get a massive amount of storage. This design is mostly advised for a larger kitchen as a small space with the U design can get too crammed even for standing purposes.
Make it a point to design the cabinets at variable heights to incorporate the right space in between. It seems to be one of the most common designs to be used for modular kitchen style.
4. Parallel Kitchen Layout
This is another emerging pattern you can find frequently in Indian homes. Here, the style of the kitchen is such that you can divide it into two separate units when needed. It is mostly seen in large apartments where you may need a bifurcation of the kitchen later on. The countertops in such a kitchen are designed along with the two walls and they tend to face each other. You will get a lot of storage space as there are counters on both walls. There is an alley in between where in you can pass from and also stand and cook.
So, this kitchen can be divided right from the middle if the need arises or it can continue to function as a parallel design.
5. The Linear Layout
This is a simple, minimal, and yet great layout. Here, you don’t have multiple walls and so the L and U shape is not formed. Here, there is a single wall wherein you mount all the drawers and have the countertop. It is great for studio apartments and even bachelor pads where elaborate cooking is not needed. It is a modern design that is meant for small kitchen spaces with minimal cooking needs.
The Drawer Designs
One of the key elements of a modular kitchen has to be the drawers. It is absolutely important to choose the right drawers to ensure you have a beautiful kitchen. Here, we are going to talk about some of the different drawer designs that you can implement to beautify your kitchen space.
1. Open Kitchen Drawer
Just as the name implements, these are more like shelves and they stay open. There is no closing mechanism. They are very convenient to use and one can retrieve stuff quickly as they can glance at all the items and look at what they need. A major disadvantage is the dirt. As these drawers are open, they tend to attract a lot of dirt. Most people will have no more than one or two open kitchen drawers and the rest are closed to make cleaning hassle-free.
2. Press In And Pull-Out Drawers
One of the popular choices in the kitchen design has to be the press-in and pull-out drawers. With new advancements, one can also find the light inside the drawers that makes it easy to look for a specific item. These drawers are extremely efficient and easy to operate. You can just push or pull them for opening and closing. They make for an organized arrangement and make it very easy to keep stuff.
These are in tandem with the modern kitchen designs.
3. Customized Designs
Every individual is different. Some may prefer racks while others may like shelves. This is why you can choose to customize the drawers and have them fit as per your needs and requirements. Sometimes, people chose to opt for baskets and racks in between drawers. Some people may like the unequal size of drawers as per the stuff they want to keep. So, the options at hand are limitless.
Modular Kitchen- The Tips
Here are some of the important tips you can follow when you are looking to have a modular kitchen design fit into your space.
- Ideally for Indian homes, you should try to avoid having an all-white kitchen as it’s going to be very hard to clean. These can get stained super quick and so they will be hard to clean. The maintenance for such colours is extremely tough.
- There is no specific rule for the height of the kitchen countertop. You should see the general height of the people who will be working in the kitchen and then decide accordingly. Also, the countertop and cabinet should have the right space in between.
- When designing a kitchen, the first thing to do is to identify the golden triangle area. This will include the stove, refrigerator, and sink. These elements will take up a lot of space and you should plan their placement when designing the kitchen. This will make the whole design a lot more efficient.
- The presence of lights and their subsequent placement is very crucial. You need to make sure that your kitchen is well lit. You can choose to have overhead lights, hanging lights, and even under cabinet lights. These days, people are also choosing to integrate false ceiling lights as well. You have to decide the type of lights you want, but the bottom line remains that there should be ample light to allow you to cook with ease.
- The ventilation is absolutely important or else there can be too much fume inside the kitchen space. You should have an exhaust opening into the outside to ensure that it can draw out the fumes and keep the right air circulation.
- Make it a point to use tiles that are skid-proof. This will prevent accidental slipping. Also, trying to round the countertop edges as sharp ends can lead to unwanted accidents, especially if there are little toddlers at home.
So, these are the key tips you have to bear in mind while designing the modular kitchen and you should pay heed to these aspects.
Pros and Cons
Here are the pros and cons of a modular kitchen.
- It helps in making the space a lot more efficient
- The kitchen gets very easy to clean and maintain
- The design is easy to assemble and moving the drawers from one place to another is very easy
- It also helps in adding to the net style element of your space
- You can stack a wide variety of stuff and keep tons of elements even in little space
- Some designs make even small kitchen spaces large enough to stock all your supplies
- It is in tandem with the modern-day designs and helps in making your home modernistic
- The drawers will have to be cleaned pretty frequently. Some of the designs are very hard to maintain
- The overall installation can get very expensive especially when you choose to have a custom design and customize the drawer’s style as well
- The repair and even the replacement cost is going to be very expensive
- Sometimes, you end up with more drawers than what you need. This leads to unwanted clutter and useless wastage.
So, you can choose to weigh the pros and cons of the modular kitchen design and then choose the type of design that you will like to implement in your space.
What do you mean by the modular kitchen?
A modular kitchen refers to the kind of design where you can have drawers and cabinets fitted inside. This makes it easy to store stuff and even retrieve them. It is a space-efficient design.
What will be the price for a modular kitchen?
There is no specific ballpark figure because the design cost rests largely on the space of the kitchen, the type of materials chosen, the kind of design implemented, and also the designer chosen. Each of these points is going to decide the net cost.
Can you customize the drawers?
Yes, you have the option to customize the drawers and you can choose the right size and design that you want and have it accordingly.
Are there several brands offering modular kitchens?
Yes, there are tons of Indian brands that specialize in modular kitchens and drawers that you can buy and have installed in no time. Hettich, Godrej Interior and Sleek are three of the top brands.